|Eco-Justice Ministries strongly encourages people of faith to participate in local Step It Up events on April 14, 2007.
In the Denver area, Eco-Justice Ministries is helping to plan an event designed specifically for people of faith.
The People of Faith Step It Up rally in Denver was a great success, with about 200 people in attendance from many area congregations. US Rep. Diana DeGette, a congressional leader in working for strong legislation on global warming, spoke to the rally. Rev. Peter Sawtell, the executive director of Eco-Justice Ministries, gave the opening message. There is a special page with pictures from the event.
Step It Up is building a strong, committed, grassroots movement that will work for significant action by the US government on global climate change. Program organizer Bill McKibben wrote, "On Saturday, April 14, a coalition of environmental activists and organizations will be staging rallies around the country. Local rallies will all hoist the same banner: 'Congress: Stop Global Warming. Cut Carbon 80% by 2050.'"
McKibben, in the cover story of the 2/20/07 Christian Century, makes a compelling case for why churches need to be involved in this movement. It is not only that "politicians pay attention to people on church steps." Addressing climate change is a priority for those who, as a matter of faith, care about social justice, protecting creation, being responsible to the future, and redefining "the good life" in the US.
There are now over 1,300 Step It Up rallies planned for communities across the United States! Check the Step It Up website to find an event near you, or to post an announcement about a rally that you are planning.
In the Denver area, Eco-Justice Ministries is joining with our ecumenical and interfaith partners for "People of Faith Step It Up" event at First Plymouth Congregational UCC, 3501 So. Colorado Blvd., from 9 AM to Noon. The host church is located at the southwest corner of Colorado Blvd. and Hampden Ave.
The snow didn't show, and Saturday is expected to be sunny.
Our rally will be OUTSIDE on the east lawn of the church -- please dress for cool temperatures!
The informational displays and refreshements will be INSIDE, and we expect to have the sound system arranged so that the speeches can be heard in the fellowship hall, too.
Don't let cold WEATHER keep you from speaking up about the CLIMATE!
We are gathering people of faith to demand strong climate legislation, and to strengthen congregations in their ongoing work for the healing of creation. We invite people of all faiths to join us for a time of interfaith prayers of confession and hope, sharing of resources for congregational use, and conversation about how to build an ongoing religious movement.
|Here are some of the congregations and groups that we expect to see at the People Of Faith rally:
- First Plymouth UCC, Englewood
- St. Andrew Methodist, Highlands Ranch
- Columbine United Church, Littleton
- Montview Presbyterian, Denver
- Jefferson Unitarian, Golden
- St. John's Episcopal Cathedral, Denver
- First Universalist, Denver
- Washington Park UCC, Denver
- Wild Rose Community UCC, Evergreen
- Our Savior Lutheran, Denver
- Wheat Ridge UCC, Wheat Ridge
- Park Hill UCC, Denver
- Lakewood UCC, Lakewood
- Central Christian, Denver
- First Mennonite, Denver
- Capitol Heights Presbyterian, Denver
- St. Paul Lutheran, Denver
- St. Paul Presbyterian, Aurora
- Augustana Lutheran, Denver
- Holy Shepherd Lutheran, Lakewood
- Brighton United Methodist, Brighton
- Holy Cross Lutheran, Wheat Ridge
- Hilltop United Church of Christ, Parker
- Interfaith Alliance
- CO Interfaith Power & Light
- Jews of the Earth
- Abrahamic Initiative
Let us know if your congregation or group is coming!
Sample bulletin announcements, and links to bulletin inserts and posters, are available below. Remember -- the most effective way to get people to come to the rally is to talk to them in-person, and invite them to come with you!
9:00 AM -- The morning's activities will begin at 9 AM with educational displays from many environmental businesses, agencies and faith-based projects, lively music, a chance to make posters, and some fellowship time. Music for the morning is being provided by members of Soul Purpose from Columbine United Church in Littleton.
Throughout the morning, there will be special activities for children of all ages.
10:00 AM -- At 10 AM, we will hear -- briefly -- from three speakers: Rev. Peter Sawtell (Executive Director of Eco-Justice Ministries), Matt Baker (Director of Environment Colorado) and US Representative Diana DeGette. Ms. DeGette's Denver-area district includes the church where we are meeting. Rep. DeGette is an active member of Montview Presbyterian Church in Denver. In Congress, she is an original an co-sponsor of one of the pieces of strong climate legislation that the Step It Up campaign is seeking.
10:30 AM -- No later than 10:30, there will be a time of prayer and music. That will be followed by rich variety of speakers from a wide range of religious traditions, interspersed with more music and short "testemonials" from the gathered crowd.
11:30 AM -- At 11:30, we'll take the official group picture that will be posted to the national Step It Up website. After the picture, we will line up along busy Hampden Avenue with signs and banners to proclaim our call of "Cut Carbon 80% by 2050." The scheduled event will end by noon.
Congregations and religious groups are invited to bring their banners and signs, and clergy are encouraged to wear stoles.
If you are interested in helping to publicize this event among Front Range congregations, or if your organization has materials that you want to share at the rally, or if you want to share in the planning and leadership of the event, please contact the planning team c/o Peter Sawtell at 303-715-3873.
Ready-to-print resources for the Denver People of Faith Step It Up event:
Short notices for worship bulletins:
Remember -- the most effective way to get people to come to the rally is to talk to them in-person, and invite them to come with you!
- People of Faith, Step it Up against global warming! Join us at an interfaith event at First Plymouth UCC, 3501 S. Colorado Blvd., from 9 AM to Noon to rally in support of strong legislation to reduce carbon emissions 80% by 2050. As the caretakers of Godís creation, we will gather together to pray and act!
- People of Faith, Step it Up against global warming! Join us at an interfaith event at First Plymouth UCC, 3501 S. Colorado Blvd., from 9 AM to Noon to rally in support of strong legislation to reduce carbon emissions 80% by 2050. As the caretakers of Godís creation, we will gather together to pray and act! Listen to special speakers, including US Representative Diana DeGette, make a pledge to take action, speak your mind, re-energize spiritually and renew your passion.
The People of Faith Step It Up rally in Denver is co-sponsored by:|
Power & Light
|Step It Up, Congress!|
Cut Carbon 80% by 2050.