The Center for the New American Dream guide provides eight action steps for responsible purchasing, and suggests additional options for continuing work in each of these directions.
- Replace standard light bulbs with compact fluorescent lights.
- Use organic, shade grown, fair trade coffee during events and in the office.
- Free your congregation from junk mail.
- Buy post-consumer waste, recycled, process chlorine-free office paper.
- Eliminate pesticide use on the grounds of your house of worship.
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products.
- Use recycled content, process chlorine-free paper towels and toilet paper.
- Inspire another faith community to participate in the Responsible Purchasing Program.
Other Congregational Actions
Eco-Justice Ministries suggests these other options that go beyond purchasing decisions:
- Take reasonable steps to insulate and weatherstrip the building
- Use zones for heating and cooling efficiently
- Avoid stupid energy-wasting practices (such as propping open a door instead of unlocking it; this may mean making some changes in locks and keys!)
- Replace energy-inefficient appliances (note refrigerators & freezers that are more than 10 years old)
- Provide (and use) recycling options for aluminum, office paper, etc.
- Reduce environmental impacts from lawn & garden (water usage, chemicals)
- Include environmental emphases in worship, education, and the church newsletter